A Talent Show Which Requires You!
What is a Gifts Night? A Less Stressed, More Blessed Night
It is you, Hope Chapel, sharing your talents with, well, Hope Chapel.
It doesn’t have to be perfect, just yours! Some talents are amazing performances from those with lovely voices and others are hilarious chances to laugh at your Hope Group’s Kazoo Band. It’s a variety show in which you provide the variety.
What Gifts Can I Share?
Poetry, stand-up, a song, a dramatic reading, a comedy skit, and LOTS of silliness! Last spring we had:
• a funny song like a Bert & Ernie song à la Justus and John Patrick Cogdell
• dramatic reading of a poem (your own or a favorite) à la Liz Morgan
• a choral group performing Steve Martin’s Atheists Don’t Have No Songs à la Dormans, Tuceks, Annette Christopher, and Michael Spinks
• a gravity-defying, prat-falling mime of the a certain dog flying in battle in a sopwith camel biplane à la Joe Friedman
• a slide show of fatherly advice on family camping trips à la Thomas Cogdell
It’s license to do something crazy, fun, and outrageous or to showcase a hidden talent that you have that your friends like!
What It’s Not?
Your first piano recital. Something randomly thrown together that’s wouldn’t have been entertaining even with rehearsal. Go with a basic skill level (juggling while eating an apple) or something funny/entertaining that doesn’t need much skill (your Hope Group‘s cheerleading cheer). THINK: what can I do that will help people be less stressed or more blessed?
BTW, it’s not using the Gifts of the Holy Spirit or your gift of teaching. We once had someone misunderstand – awkward.
Who Can Sign Up?
Hope Groups are encouraged to do a song or skit together (and you can include kids). Youth Group is welcome to do an act (in fact, we have one in mind for you). Solo acts are welcome. The curator will make a list of what we’re looking for (example 2 funny skits, 1 serious song, a dramatic reading, an odd skill).